Today I am showing a card kit I've made to be used in a local Care Home. This is something you might want to do to both recycle and use up some of the things in your stash that you may never use yourself. I'm sure that any home would welcome kits to use with the people in their care.My daughter, Laura, is a nurse at the home and on Monday she came home saying that they had got a new resident, who was suffering from dementia and was also very depressed.
It had been decided that the lady needed to do activities to stimulate her brain and build up a little self esteem. She isn't interested in anything and doesn't really want to participate so any activity tried with her has to be really simple. The lady's family are buying her kits, but it is hard to get things easy enough, but not childish.
This led to me making this kit, which although made for one lady is something that will be used with the other residents in the home. If it goes down well I will extend it and make more.
The cards in the kit are almost made - they just need the bits sticking on, BUT the big thing about the kit is that it gives loads of opportunity for the carer and resident to talk as they work. I was trying to provide the opportunity for the lady to think and make choices so I made 4 base cards with different sentiments, 4 different coloured nestabily circles and 4 different designs of bears (recycled from Laura's birthday cards - she had a lot the same).
I'm hoping that the kit goes down well and that I can make more for Laura to take in to work. I'm also going to make some for home to sell as a fund raisers at their Summer fair.
9 comments:
Brilliant idea Ann and what a lovely thing to do - I can see that caring Laura is a chip off the old block
Ann x
What a fantastic idea and very well planned too. The cards it makes look really good. Hope it goes down well.
Love the card below too.
Beryl xx
Oh Ann, what a lovely and heartfelt thing you and your daughter are doing for the patients at the home! My Mom lives with me and suffers from Alzheimer's and she too gets very depressed. I have tried so many things to do with her to help, but all she wants to do is sit in front of the television. Your kits are such a wonderful idea and I will have to try something like this to do with my Mom.
Can't thank you enough for sharing!
xoxo
Carol Anne
This is a fabulous idea Ann and it wouldn't surprise me if the other residents will want kits of their own to play with when they see this. The added advantage, of course, is that when the cards are completed, they will have a little collection of cards ready to send to friends and family. What a star you are xx
Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
what a fabulous idea. I'm sure it will bring some joy to a lot of people who need it x
Oh Ann, what a wonderful idea. Trust you to think of what other people would like and what would help them. You always put other people first. Good on Laura as well for bringing that lady's situation to your attention. She is following her Mum.
Well done Ann.
love
Joyce xx
Oh this is so touching Ann. Not only have you reached out to someone who needs love and patience, but your daughter sounds just as wonderful as you. I am sure she'll love it, and yes, I can't think of a better way to use up extra cs and supplies.
Ann what a terrific idea, and the kit looks lovely, I'm sure they will provide hours of pleasure.
Pat xx
That is a wonderful and thoughtful idea. The kit itself is adorable and I hope that it was thoroughly enjoyed. I think that what you've set out to do (something easy without being childish, but stimulating) is EXACTLY what you've achieved. Fantastic.
Stephanie
Post a Comment