Well I googled and found loads of unicorn silhouettes, but most of them were under copyright. I even emailed one of the artists, but received no reply. Luckily in the end I found one that could be used freely from the Daisytrail site. Only a line drawing one but I was able to fill it on a Serif photo programme I have and I think it turned out pretty good.
I had to do quite a bit of experimenting to work out the best way to use the unicorn on top of the encaustic art work that I posted here. Firstly I printed the unicorn out on printer paper to get the right size. Then I printed it on normal acetate to ensure I had the unicorn in the right place on the acetate. I didn't want to print the unicorn right in the middle and use up a whole sheet of quite expensive inkjet acetate. Using normal acetate and wiping the ink of in between trial runs worked really well and ensured that when I finally put the real stuff in the printer I knew it would work.
After printing I just attached the acetate over the top of the encaustic art using silver brads. Now I need to decide whether to make it up into a card or something else. I quite fancy making a note book for me or maybe a present for someone. We'll see.
If you happen to be reading this and live in the Rotherham/Barnsley area I can really really recommend Brian Nelson who has a studio at Elsecar Heritage Centre. Honestly if he can get me doing scenes with the hot iron in only one session he must be good.
He does one day courses and shorter sessions such as the one I did last week. Check out his website here . If you do visit please mention that you saw the stuff on my blog cause I think I drove him nearly batty last week at the session with questions about how the art could be combined with rubber stamping!Have a great start to the week everyone.
Ann xxx

6 comments:
Wow this is a stunning piece of art. The unicorn is beautiful.
Luv,
Chelsea
Have been gagging to see your unicorn since you said you'd found one ... and boy it was worth waiting for! It looks fabby against your awesome encaustic art background.
Using it on a notebook is a brilliant idea or maybe on the cover of a folder where you could keep your favourite sketches or something.
Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT
Beautiful card, Ann!! The Unicorn looks fab against this gorgeous background!!
Well done Ann and such a lot of work and research for the unicorn. The latter definitely makes the picture which is beautiful.
love
Joyce xx
WOW, Ann what a stunning piece of art! I`m so impressed - this technique really is special. Just gorgeous!
Hi Ann
The encaustic shop sells solid unicorn stamps, I've got one x
www.encaustic.com. Its uk based hth
Vix
Post a Comment