Tuesday, 21 October 2008

Alter something...



This was the title of the challenge at http://cuttlebugchallenge.blogspot.com/ over the last week. I knew exactly what I wanted to do (well maybe not the fine details) but it just took me a while to get started.

I have never transformed a box before and was really quite scared about getting messy edges. It turned out to be very time consuming but not as hard as I thought. The whole of my box is covered in cream hammered paper (including the base - halo is shining).
The top was then decorated using an image from the Joanna Sheen CD 'The Cardmaker's Year' and embossed squares made using the cuttlebug writing folder. I used chalk on the embossing to give a more aged appearance - I won't use the word 'distressed' as i think that was more a good word to describe me at this stage wondering if the whole project was going to come together.

I matt and layered matching card on the sides of the box to draw the design together and I must admit I am pleased with the finished result which is going to become a box to store all those notelet type cards I make.

Materials used:

  • large box
  • cream hammered paper
  • dark brown card
  • tan coloured embossed card
  • cuttlebug writing folder
  • 'The Cardmaker's Year' CD
  • gold mirri card
  • gold corner peel offs

9 comments:

Ann Whitfield said...

Stunning Ann and perfect for what you want it for. Love the other cards you've posted while I've been away too
Ann x

Rleen said...

This is beautiful, I love the colors.

Wendy - Anntaurus said...

Wow - this is beautiful Ann!

Heather said...

Gorgeous box Ann - well worth the time and effort.
Have left you something on my blog.
hugs Heather xxx

Irene said...

Ann

Your box is absolutely stunning, beautiful, and gorgeous.

luv
irene
xxxx

Hiya, My name is Lynne. said...

Hi Ann, your box is so classy. Love the colours.
Lynne xoxox

SparkofWhimsy said...

Hello,

I found this from the contest you entered and just wanted to stop by your post and leave a note. This is so very beautiful. I love the elegance of it. I was going to ask you what the stamp was, but I see it's a cd cover instead! What a great usage for one. So very pretty.

Chrissie said...

Just trying to catch up with my favourite blogs Ann and had to leave a comment on this project. I LOVE it, you are so clever! I've never had the courage to do a box, maybe you could pop a tutorial on your blog so that cowards like me can give it a try? I keep thinking about buying one of those boxmakers, but can't afford it at the moment.

Maggie Lamarre said...

i luv luv this so elegant, shall I send you my addy?
Thanks
Maggie

Thank you so much to great friends who have become followers of my blog. Love having you around.