Friday, 4 June 2010

Bah! Humbug! Day ... acetate ...

Yeah - acetate -one of my favourite things to use in card making.  I love it.  I know it can be hard to work with and you have to be careful to ensure the back is as neat as the front, but I guess I just love the magic of images suspended in air which is something you can do with acetate so easily.
Having said all that I do not like the way acetate cards are so hard to take a good photo of.  Sheesh I tried so hard with this and I'm still not that happy, but at least this photo hasn't got a reflection of the camera on it.  Think there might be a bit of my T-shirt, but oh well it will do.
To create the card I used one of the 'seconds' sheets I bought recently at the Kanban outlet shop.  I love the night time buildings and Santa in his aeroplane.  
The design of the card has sort of evolved from a style Sheena Douglas demonstrated at a course I went on.  I hope Sheena isn't reading this (highly unlikely), but her original design didn't really work properly as the trees on the back of the card sort of fell over when the card was stood open.  It just didn't look perfect somehow.
I've finally solved that problem by creating a card that is not a single fold at the top, but a double fold that creates a gusset and allows the scene at the back and the image at the front to be viewed properly. 


As you can see the 'gusset' at the top also allows for the scene on the rear of the card to be decoupaged - clever - huh!  Making this card was such fun and now I've worked out the style and measurements I will be trying out all kinds of ideas.  This is a 6" x 6" card and will need a box to send it in.  Not good!  However, the gusset will fold flat so in future to avoid the dreaded box making I would make my card 5" x 6".  The card could then be folded flat to go in a 6" x 6" envelope.

As well as Bah! Humbug! my card is also for the challenge at...
Hope to see some fabulous cards at Bah! Humbug! this week and Sheena if you are reading this - yikes - I didn't mean it!  The card you showed us how to make was super stunning - honest!
Huge hugs for all.
Ann xxx

18 comments:

Irene said...

Morning Ann

Fantstic, gorgeous, awesome.
I LOVE it.

luv
irene
xxxx

Max said...

When I first saw this card I was blown away! It is absolutely incredible! By adding the gusset you have added a whole new dimension to 3D cards and the decoupaged buildings just reinforce the fantastic 3D illusion. I am once again in awe of your talent.
All we need now is a wee tutorial ... *wink* ...

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

~*Joni said...

Ohhhhh my goodness. I do believe this is the most stunning use of acetate that I've ever seen Ann!! What a beautiful design, I love the decoupaged city scape, and that santa is just so perfect. Wonderful job on the card revised design, it works beautifully with this work of art!!
Hugs and happy weekend Ann!!

the crafty duck said...

Hi Ann this is stunning!! I love Santa in his plane and the 3D effect is fantastic!! Lots of love Steph

Ziggyeor said...

Wow I love the 3 D card! It's worth having to send it in a box. The Santa in his aeroplane is just too adorable!

Pink Dandelion said...

Wow this is a fabulous card, I love it. Debs xx

Beryl said...

It's offical - you are a genious. Acetate is lovely but can be so difficult to fix. This flying Santa is a brilliant idea. Love it.
Beryl xx

Helen said...

Wow - this is fabulous!
Thanks for joining us at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
Helen x

Emma said...

Oh wow such a fabulous card, I love it!!
Hugs Emma x

Claire said...

Wow what a stunner, love everything about his card and the gusset idea is fab. I'll have to have a bash at that idea
TFS
Claire xx

Jayne Hayward said...

This is a great card. Love the use of Acetate. Thanks for joining in with us on ABC Christmas Challenge

Jayne xx

Jose said...

"WOW!" gorgeous work
Jose

starcyl said...

Well Ann you've done it again, I love the idea of a gusset and can already see myself having a go at something similar. Great card!

Jenny x

Lorraine A said...

Fabulous card :) I love everything ,,, had a close inspection :-) I think Sheena would be thrilled that you took her idea and adapted it to suit you better !! I would email her a piccy of it !! :-)

Brilliant idea (the card ,, not mine lol )! :-)

thanks for joining the ABC Christmas Challenge :-)

luv
Lols x x

KraftyKoolKat said...

Wow!!! Ann this is super and sounds very intricate. Love it. Cathy xxx

DonnaMundinger said...

Unbelieveable Ann! I sooo am going to try this some day. This scene is absolutely MAGICAL!!!! xxD

Annie said...

what a fabulous scene you have created! thanks for joining in with us at the ABC Christmas challenge.
hugs, annie x

Anonymous said...

lovely card hunny! Great idea! I love the background of this card too! thanks for joining us on the ABC Christmas challenge this time Samantha :0)

Thank you so much to great friends who have become followers of my blog. Love having you around.