Thursday, 3 September 2009

Happy Birthday James...

Well James escaped the House Mouse in a blue tutu card. After Max's comment about him thinking I had got the wrong idea about his personality I decided that perhaps it was a bit much.

So out came the folded shirt that has saved my life so many times when making a quick card for a man. This time though instead of using patterned paper for the shirt I decided to use real money and combine the card with the gift so to speak.

I felt so extravagant folding up money - bit like those scenes where someone has won the lottery and lights their cigar with a note. I also had to remind myself to be really careful and not throw away the practice ones with the DST waste!

Due to this card my window cleaner has also joined the long line of people worried about my sanity. When he came today I grabbed one of my practice notes to pay him and you should have seen his face as I unfolded the shirt!!

As our paper money is such weird shades I decided to play safe and use acetate for the card and I must admit I'm rather chuffed with the way it's turned out. The photo is a bit iffy due to reflections - I did try all kinds of shots and this was the best one.

After deciding where to put the shirt on the card I made two holes in the bottom layer of the shirt and two holes in the acetate which enable me to sew a cotton loop which holds the shirt in place.

On the reverse of the shirt I've put a little instruction label. This not only hides the ends of the cotton, but also makes sure that James doesn't throw the card away. Last year I did him a card with a denim pocket with real money popping out of the top and it took him a few days to realise the note was real. Men!!!


Jame's card is also for the challenge at Rainbow Lady's challenge blog where the theme is/was acetate. I'm scheduling this post for really early in the morning before Cynthia changes the challenge. Is that cheating? Probably!

My card is also for the challenge at Allsorts where this week they want everyone to make a card using no stamps anywhere! Phew a tricky one there!

21 comments:

Irene said...

Morning Ann

What can I say but FANTASTIC, what a great idea. Can I please have a shirt folding tutorial ????

James, will love the card and the money.

luv
irene
xxxx

camcraft said...

Fabulous! I am sure James is going to be thrilled :-)
Carole x

Beryl K said...

Hi Ann, what a fabulous card and such a brilliant idea. I just love your acetate cards, not got the confidence to do one myself. Folded shirt has helped me a few times too.
Beryl x

Chrissie said...

Wherever did you get this idea from Ann?......it's fantastic!!
I just hope James appreciates what a clever woman you are.

Anne said...

That is a wonderful idea Ann - must remember that one! Hugs x

Max said...

Fan ... blooming ... tastic!!
Absolutely amazing idea ... you blow me away!
Are you plugged in to some kind of Inspiration Contraption or had a Creativity Transplant or something?
If you could pass on the details of where, when, how and the cost I'd be very grateful!
Good move adding the instructions ... can't be too careful when it comes to men LOL!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx

Beryl said...

Chuffed you might well be. What a brilliant idea to use money for the shirt.Fantastic design.
Beryl xx

Sheri Gilson said...

Fabulous card Ann!! I love the folded shirt and the clear card!!

brenda said...

Hi Anne

How very clever, super imaginative card.

And tell me your secret - how do you buy stamps and keep a guiltless smile ?

Thanks for joining in at Allsorts this week.

B x

dragonflyjoy said...

What a great idea Ann. I'm sure James will be far happier with this than a blue tu-tu. I have several ready made shirts but not as nice as this one. As you say, cards for men are scare on the ground.

Oh I wish I'd seen your window cleaner's face when you unfolded the £20. I bet he thought it was his birthday. :-)

love
Joyce xx

Spyder said...

What a brilliant idea! (Good thigs to tell 'em tho' Just is case they don't notice!

((Lyn))

Rainbow Lady said...

Absolutely wonderful Ann and definitely not cheating (I was late today anyhow as I couldn't get onto blogger lol) Thanks for playing again Love Cynthia x

Carol Anne's Boutique said...

Fabulous card Ann...James will be very happy!!
xoxo
Carol Anne

Jules said...

Hi Ann

Lucky James!! I hope he has a good birthday.

Wouldn't it be funny if he bought a new shirt with the money. (but I bet he won't).

Great idea and very original. Love the acetate too.

Thank your for playing along with Allsorts this week.

Love Jules xx

Emma (metalicbutterfly) said...

Such a clever idea!!!!!

I love it perfect for a male birthday .....
rofl when I read your bit about paying the window cleaner with a shirt lol!

Thanks for playing at Allsorts this week

Emma xxx

Heather said...

Fantastic card Ann and what a brilliant idea. Sanity - what's that???
hugs Heather xx

cabio's craft corner said...

Awesome idea and James is going to love it!
Hugs,
Cabio

Carol said...

GREAT idea Ann! perfect for a male card :)

Hugs
Carol x

jude said...

Ann what a stunning card and fab idea .Love the warning label just incase he didnt realise it was money!
hugs judex

Lexxie said...

This is AMAZINg Ann!! What a fun and unique card, and love how you've mounted the shirt onto acetate.
Fab work,
Love Sarita xx

scotspanda said...

fabulous card, I love the idea of folding the note up, must remember that one!!
thanks for taking up my challenge at Allsorts :o)

lotsalove

Amanda xx

Thank you so much to great friends who have become followers of my blog. Love having you around.